The 34th edition of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services will take effect April 1. As in the past, each chapter represents one of the quality system essentials, which are supplemented by technical requirements.
The 34th edition contains several notable changes. AABB’s Blood Bank/Transfusion Service Standards Committee highlighted the following updates:
- The 34th edition incorporates the updated quality systems essentials template, including updated language and new sections on key concepts and terms, along with examples of objective evidence.
- New Standard 22.214.171.124 requires that laboratories evaluate comparability of tests results using different methods.
- New Standards 126.96.36.199–188.8.131.52 address proficiency testing referrals, associated communications and notifications to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- New and expanded standards cover the use and storage of cold-stored platelets, in line with recently released Food and Drug Administration guidance.
- New Standard 5.10.1 ensures that the Circular of Information for the Use of Human Blood and Blood Components would be available to the receiving facility or transfusionist with all shipped products.
The 34th edition is available in the AABB Store in an electronic format, print format or as a bundle of both versions. A bundle of 34th edition (in print) and the Guidance for Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services is also available.
Organizations interested in adopting the standards can participate in a complimentary two-week trial of the electronic version of the 34th edition in the Standards Portal.
For those implementing the 34th edition, the BB/TS Standards Committee has created a document, “The Significant Changes and Response to Comments to the 34th edition of Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services.”
Finally, AABB will be hosting an eCast on Wednesday, Feb. 14, where members of the BB/TS Standards Committee will discuss and explain the significant changes to the 34th edition. Individuals who would like to attend may register online.